Celebrate 95 Years

Celebrate 95 Years

Celebrate 95 Years2023-10-12T14:48:05+10:00
Join us in commemorating Loreto College’s remarkable 95th anniversary.

For almost a century, we have provided an exceptional education that empowers students to excel academically, grow personally, and make a positive impact. With a rich history rooted in Loreto Sisters’ values, we continue to inspire and shape lives. Join us in honouring the past, celebrating the present, and envisioning a bright future as we continue to inspire, empower, and shape the leaders of tomorrow.

Building Timeline

Kemendine Building

The original Loreto Coorparoo building was situated on land purchased by the Deshon family in 1885. The house was built in 1889 and was named Kemendine. The Deshon family lived there for almost forty years, until it was purchased by Archbishop Duhig. In September 1927, two Loreto Sisters visited Brisbane and agreed to establish a school on the site in Cavendish Rd, purchasing the house and 3 acres of land for 4,500 pounds. The building became known as the “Pink Building” until it was demolished in January 1977. It stood adjacent to the Casket Building where the rotunda now stands.

Loreto College Coorparoo commences

Loreto College Coorparoo commences with an enrolment of seven students.

Casket Building

The Casket Building is so named as it was built from the 5,000 pounds winning proceeds of the Golden Casket donated in 1929. The oldest standing building was built in 1931, adjacent to the Kemendine Building. A third storey was added in 1933. Over the years, the Casket Building has housed a boarding school dormitory, the boarder’s dining room, the nun’s kitchen, bathrooms, offices, classrooms and a drama room. This building is currently heritage listed with Brisbane City Council.

Relocation of School

The school relocated to NSW during WWII. The Loreto boarding houses were used by Australian soldiers.

Loreto Convent (Main Administration Building)

Construction of the front red brick building, the well-known facade of Loreto Convent which included parlours, classrooms and a Senior dormitory, is now known as the Main Administration Building. The large administration building was constructed in an asymmetrical style of undecorated face brickwork, in the Post-War Ecclesiastical style, common following the end of World War II. This building is currently heritage listed with Brisbane City Council.


The Babylon building was built in 1973 and was called Babylon because they tried to grow hanging gardens. The official opening for the building was in 1974. Later, the College redeveloped the building to repurpose it as a science block. The ‘new’ Babylon science block was blessed at a brief ceremony on 20 November 2000.

Gonzaga Barry Building and Chapel

The religious education centre (Gonzaga Barry building), designed by architect John Deshon and constructed in 1977, has made use of wrought iron and timber from Kemendine. The centre consists of a chapel, a courtyard and a main rectangular area that can be divided into three rooms. The chapel’s tabernacle is set in the apex of the triangular shaped building and contains a stained glass window designed and created by artist Stephen Moor. The cedar from the staircase of the old house was used to create the altar, lectern, crucifix and chairs and the cedar front doors from Kemendine were incorporated within the building. This building is currently heritage listed with Brisbane City Council.

Mary Ward Centre

The Mary Ward Centre was named in honour of the founder of the IBVM. The building was blessed and opened by Archbishop Francis Rush on 25 August 1991. Previously, the building on the site belonged to the Gorring family and to honour the family they ceremonially buried a brick from the old music house (Gorring’s house) on the site. There was also a demountable building that was used as a typing room and PE office, this was also demolished to make way for the Mary Ward Centre.

Central Rotunda erected

Mary Ward statue installed


The Mulwith building is a centre for art, creativity and reflection and helps facilitate general support and learning for the student and college community. The site is built on the former Loreto Convent, home of the IBVM Sisters from 1972 until 2004. The building is designed to respond to the needs of the school while respecting the residential community that is sited within.


Designed to create inspirational and flexible spaces for teaching, learning and performance, the Cruci building was completed in 2014. The design contains different-sized break-out learning spaces including verandahs that facilitate internal and external learning and collaboration. Writable surfaces and wireless technology further enhance collaboration, enabling student ‘thinking’ to be captured and displayed. This, together with moveable furniture, enables an easy change of layout, which is essential for variety in pedagogy.

Crescentia Building

The Crescentia Building was originally built in 1964 and was the ‘Main Classroom Block’. However it has been remodelled to include a fresh new facade, upgrading of classroom facilities and the addition of new learning spaces. The landscaped surrounds include native planting additions, aligning with the bushland feel of the area. Sparse, hedged planting is still recurrent, especially towards the vehicular entrance off Dale Street.

Take a look at Our Future
Open Link
Go to Top